Monday

Two different birds

Good news - Bird now has a domain at Amilova. It's birdcomic.amilova.com

Since I've been studying theory of the drama, I began to think that the story itself isn't what's most important rather than the way you tell it. That eventually is reflected in my works. Can't say I'm big of a mastermind in this, but I put a lot of effort especially on the storytelling of "Bird".

But there was a problem, as there always is.

When I first got the idea of this Mystery bird thing, I was seeing it rather as an animation short project. No dialogue, dreamlike scapes, lots of shapes morphing in one another, vibrant colours. But since it looked like a lot of work and I already had big animation projects I didn't even write it down as a script.

So couple of months later, there was this open call for comics. I wanted to participate, but I didn't have any ideas but this one. The problems was I didn't want to go with an artistic, incomprehensible comic which surely was to take many pages. I thought I should tell the story more conevtionaly and definitely add dialogue and well, action. Still, I felt like something was missing.

Then the idea of "Bird" in it's current version was born after a trip to England. I added dialogue, I hope not too much, tried to develop the minor characters, but I always tried to keep them apart, as this story is most of all about difficulties in communication. I was trying to simultaneously tell the story trough the main charaters eyes and trough the children as a group, hoping it will create an interesting relation between the two story lines. Of course, this is almost too subtle and since I had to separate my work and make the chapters in big intervals of time, I think I eventually lost it.
Anyway, I think I managed to get what I needed to show.

I always get back to my first idea, though, with the colours and stuff and wonder if it was going to be better than this version. But it's always risky with the artsy storytelling and I think it might work as an animation short, but not as a comic.

No comments:

Post a Comment